Cheerleaders Display Passion and Hard Work

Jake Melton, Sports Editor

CCCHS’s cheer program is a much more difficult sport than someone might expect. Being a cheerleader requires hard work,  composure under pressure, and both physical and mental flexibility. Regardless of the previous year’s status everyone must tryout to become a cheerleader. Cheerleaders must be able to perform a preselected cheer and dance, to demonstrate jumps, and to demonstrate tumbling skills.

Practices during football season are from 3:30 p.m. to 5 p.m. every day except Friday, due to games.  Practices during basketball season are often difficult to schedule due to the fact that there are often two games a week. Cheerleaders are expected to cheer at football and basketball games, as well as competitions. Because the basketball season involves approximately 30 games and lasts four months, the team is divided into the Red Squad and Black Squad. This allows cheerleaders time off to catch up on school work, jobs, and other activities. This also frees up space on the basketball court. During competitions practices are often held on Saturdays and Sundays. Competitions are an incredibly stressful part of cheer and require an abundance of practice and preparations. Some competitions expand over multiple days. The next upcoming competition will be in March. Next time students see one of our cheerleaders make sure to thank them for putting in all their hard work and making so many sacrifices to keep the student body pumped.