Cadets Lend Some Helping Hands

George Gannon, Arts and Entertainment Editor

The Coffee County High School Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps lends a helping hand every Tuesday to keep the school clean.

In the halls of CCCHS on Tuesday afternoons, students will find members of the JROTC helping teachers keep their workspaces clean. Sweeping, wiping, and dusting, the volunteers are participating in the Helping Hands program.

Commander of the program, Alexander Brown, said, “We clean Hinshaw’s shop, Louden’s kitchen, and Vacek’s art room. They’re our biggest ‘customers’.” Every week, 15 to 20 cadets stay after school and dedicate their time to help out. Cadets are not required to participate, but many do. If enough volunteer, they clean the outside of the school, ensuring the grounds are litter free. If necessary, the program can be held on Thursdays to clean even more areas.

Brown remarked, “It helps make sure that rooms that can’t be completely taken care of by the janitors, or the teachers themselves, are kept clean and organized,” indicating its importance to the school.

In addition to the Helping Hands program, the JROTC also has drill teams, a color guard team, a rocketry team, and also a marksmanship team in the making.  All of these will prepare cadets for success.