CCCHS Turns Pages at the 2018 SE YA book festival

Lizz York, assistant editor

Journalism and creative writing students traveled to MTSU for the 2018 SE-YA book festival on March 8, 2018. With over 90 schools in attendance, 24 of our Coffee County students went to support an author who was a former student here at CHS, Miranda Kenneally. CCCHS students heard eight authors share their inspiration and promote their latest books. Students had the opportunity to ask questions and get exclusive sneak peeks of upcoming books.

The first panel consisted of Bill Konigsberg, Miranda Kenneally, Laura Silverman, and Lauren Gibaldi.  Kendare Blake, Tobie Easton, Alwyn Hamilton, and C.J. Redwine were on the second panel. Novels were available for purchase along with a book signing and publication. Afterwards the students ate lunch and made their way back to Manchester with their new books.

The authors emphasized the need for persistence. Although it seemed that the majority of the authors’ writings were fresh off the press, they have actually been writing for years. Each author talked about the adversities they faced when writing, and authors on both panels admitted that their success did not come easy. They encouraged young writers to be determined, even when their peers aren’t as supportive. 

It took the success for people to want to talk about it.

— Miranda Kenneally