The Coffee Press

Students Experience Complications with EOC Testing

Vanessa Willis, editor-in-chief

Monday was the first day of state EOC testing. Several students experienced long delays when trying to log-in to the testing website. CCCHS teachers were forwarded an e-mail from Dr. Candice McQueen, Tennessee’s Commissioner of Education. Teachers were informed of the nature of this complication and reassured that testing would still be completed within the scheduled testing time period.

McQueen explained, “The issue earlier today was not related to either volume of student testers or a server issue. It was also not a problem with the test delivery system – Nextera – any network or broadband performance, nor any district action. It was not a “crash.” Our understanding from Questar is the issue was related to a conflict between the Classroom Assessment Builder (CAB) and the test delivery system, which previously shared the same log-in system. This conflict immediately caused unacceptable log-in delays for some students. That issue has been resolved, and we feel good going into testing tomorrow.”

The conflict was resolved fairly quickly and testing began again Tuesday morning. However, shortly after 9 a.m. Tuesday, teachers received another e-mail explaining that there were further issues. After students completed their tests, they were not able to submit their finished exams.

These complications have already changed the testing schedule. For example, fourth period was extended Tuesday and there is no longer sixth period on Wednesday. Students should listen to teachers for updates and schedule changes.