CCCHS is introducing a new class: “The Bible as Literature”

The textbook for this course will be “The Bible and Its Influence” by Cullen Schippe and Chuck Stetson.

Lindsey, Co-editor-in-chief and Humor Editor

Starting in the fall semester of 2022, students at Coffee County Central High School will be offered a new semester class: The Bible as Literature.

This new course will be taught by Joshua Taylor, who currently teaches AP Statistics, SDC Statistics, and Geometry.

This course will allow students to take a look at the Bible from a literary and historical standpoint. Those enrolled in the course will be looking at the Bible’s influence in the judicial system, arts, and a multitude of other areas.

Taylor states, “Students can expect to explore early themes in Genesis that are reoccurring throughout the books of the Bible. With thousands of years separating us from the historical setting of the Bible, we will discuss Ancient Near Eastern culture and compare it with other stories such as the Epic of Gilgamesh, Enuma Elish¸and others.”

This class will count for half a humanities credit on any student’s course requirement checklist.

Taylor also points out, “Given that many hold the Bible as a sacred text of their faith, we will not cover matters of theology, questions of a religious nature, etc. Those questions would be better suited for students’ parents/guardians, or members of their community of faith.”

Since the Bible has had such a profound impact on innumerable civilizations throughout history, Taylor explains that getting more familiar with the text will allow students engage more fully in our culture. 

On the topic of what students can expect to gain from this class, Taylor comments, “For students who are curious concerning what the Bible is about, they can expect to have a basic understanding of the Bible’s story. For others who are familiar with its many stories, I hope they are able to have a deeper appreciation and better understanding of the text.”

Whether it’s through film or music, the Bible is referenced recurrently in our everyday lives, so if you have an interest in taking this class during the 2022-2023 school year, make sure to keep an eye out for “The Bible as Literature” on your course selection form!