Student Artist Liberates Through Lyrics

Farrah Fletcher and Lizz York

As many adolescents are planning for the future, CCCHS student and aspiring rapper Jacob Johnson is already taking huge steps toward accomplishing his dreams.  Drawing inspiration from artists such as Childish Gambino, Drake, Kendrick Lamar, and his father, who was also a musician, Johnson has been making rap music from the age of twelve. Johnson, who goes by the stage name of Lord Rogue, describes his music as being energetic and vibrant. He strays from the norm of popular music by focusing on everyday happenings and turning it into art. “I find the little things that I enjoy, and then I try to capture the sound of it”, says Johnson.

While being successful through his own music is a goal, Johnson’s long term objective is to eventually open up his own recording studio. He plans to attend MTSU and earn a degree in audio engineering. Meanwhile, he has released up to 30 of his own songs, some of which touch on controversial matters about which Johnson feels strongly. Through singles such as “Don’t Shoot”, Johnson wishes to bring awareness to topics that he feels need to be addressed. In addition, he describes a musical project that the artist is currently working on to help bring about change.

Johnson portrays that his sheer passion and drive is what makes his music stand out, saying “I think it just comes down to the determination and love I have for it.” To students having doubts about pursuing something they feel is too hard to reach, he stresses the fact that his journey hasn’t been easy. “At first you’ll have a lot of haters, you’re doing something that no else has tried to do… you just have to keep on and, eventually they’ll come along too.”

In response to what fellow students and fans of Johnson’s music could do to support him, his response is simple, “Just tell a friend, let someone know,”. He also emphasizes the power of sharing words of encouragement, saying “Just come to me, tell me, that would make my day.”

Social Media for Jacob Johnson:

• IG: @TheRealLordRogue
  • Twitter: @TheRealLordRogue
  • SC: @ballin_RTR
  • Soundcloud: Lord Rogue