“Buy a Bear” Donations Share Love in the Month of February

Kathryn Welch, Reporter/Photographer

Students may have noticed Ms. Lauren Jernigan set up in the halls selling paper bears. What people passing by the cart may not notice at first glance is that these paper bears have a cause.

The month of February is a time for loving the ones around you. The “Buy a Bear” event brings that same love to local children who have been abused. This fundraiser is focused solely on placing paper bears in local businesses to bring awareness to the Coffee County Child Advocacy Center, and to raise money by selling the bears to the public. Contributors can put their name or a loved one’s name on the paper bears when they donate. The full-time staff and board at the center are responsible for the fundraiser.

All the money raised stays local. These donations are for all the services provided by the center for children in the local community.

Specific benefits to the children of a Children’s Advocacy Center are:

1.         Less trauma follow-up to the child due to a single interview
  2.         More immediate follow-up to reported cases
  3.         More efficient mental health and medical treatment
  4.         Increased successful prosecution
  5.         Consistent support for child victim(s) and the non-offending caregivers

Ms. Jernigan states that, “This organization helps the children in our own community. It provides care for those who have gone through more than any child should ever have to go through.” No child is limited to the help offered; all minors can get support from the center. The “Buy a Bear” fundraiser is only one part of donating and funding for the center. Donations throughout the year are accepted. Another fundraising opportunity will be held later this year. More information about this opportunity can be found at: http://www.coffeecountycac.org/#!__90s-party-with-a-purpose.

The center was founded in late 2004 by a group of local activists led by the Coffee County Church Women United. The Coffee County Children’s Advocacy center is a private, non-profit organization that relies solely on donations and private/state grants with the budget majority coming from private donations and foundations. Past grants received from Baptist Healing Trust, The Clayton Family Foundation, Community Foundation of Middle TN, American City Bank, US Bank, Bonnaroo, Goodrich Corporation, Nashville Predators, Walmart, and The Tennessee Bar Foundation.

The center is always in need of additional resources. Anyone interested in helping can  visit the “Help us” page on the website.

Donations may be mailed to:

104 N. Spring Street

Manchester, TN 37355