Lawyer with a Love for Language Joins CCCHS

Jaiden Aquino, Assistant Editor

Meet Ms. Chasity Nicoll – one of several new, captivating characters welcomed to CCCHS in the 2018 school year. As a former Army officer of the Judge Advocate General’s Corps, she offers a fresh perspective on the power of communication as an English II teacher.

Ms. Nicoll holds several degrees: a bachelor of arts degree from Middle Tennessee State University in English, a Juris Doctor degree from the College of Law at the University of Tennessee, and a master’s degree from Penn State University in human resource management and labor relations.  Furthermore, she carries an interesting past that has molded a unique viewpoint on the English language. As a criminal defense attorney, Ms. Nicoll served a vital position that determined the fate of her clients. She states,

“English is important. If I wasn’t able to write or analyze correctly, my clients could have gone to or spent more time in jail. The written word matters and has real world applications.”

Ms. Nicoll’s specialized role provided insight on the importance and power of the English language. She recalls defendants giving statements while lacking the knowledge to properly advocate for themselves, placing them at a disadvantage in a the legal system. This insight defined for her the value and role of education in society because more knowledgeable defendants exhibit more confidence and can defend themselves against both persecution and prosecution.

As a result, Ms. Nicoll decided to leave the law profession in order to join the education profession and spread a message about the importance of staying in high school because when Ms. Nicoll was a criminal defense attorney, her clients shared one common factor – the vast majority did not obtain their high school diploma.

In addition to her unique perspective on language, her experience in the Army taught Ms. Nicoll lasting valuable lessons  Ms. Nicoll’s first day of active duty at Fort Riley, Kansas fell on September 11, 2001, a day that certainly affected the position she served. After the country persisted through that fatal day, it remained on high alert, sending a myriad of young soldiers her way asking for help in the writing of their wills. She recalls powerful, emotionally-charged memories of teenagers only slightly older than the students she now teaches asking her to make certain that the ones they loved most dearly received their only possessions. She remembers specifically: toting a weapon almost as big as he was, one eighteen-year-old boy requested and needed only to be assured that his little brother would receive his comic book collection.

These experiences granted Ms. Nicoll a deep appreciation for the military and the families that support the soldiers. Her participation in the Army taught her that the problems people face in their everyday lives often cause them to lose sense of the privileges and blessings they have. She has seen bravery and sacrifice firsthand and notes that she sleeps well at night knowing about the people that protect us.

Currently, Ms. Nicoll enjoys playing hockey with her husband in the D-League on a team titled “Your Mom” simply because “nobody wants to be beat by a team named ‘Your Mom’.” The team is currently in the play-offs. While she does not have much time for other hobbies, she always has time for her dogs and family, and one may often catch her with them at the ballpark or the gym.

CCCHS sincerely welcomes Ms. Nicoll to the school!