The Coffee Press

Senior ACT Retake on October 16

Sara Dove, Copy Editor

Next Tuesday, October 16, all seniors will retake the ACT. As part of the 2016 Tennessee Student Assessment Transparency Act, the General Assembly legislated that each student taking the ACT as a junior shall have the opportunity to retake it one additional time. The cost of the test is covered by the school, giving every student opportunity to increase his or her score.

Last year, nearly 52,000 students took advantage of the retake, 40 percent of whom increased their composite score. Additionally, over 2,333 students met or exceeded the required composite score of 21 to become eligible for the HOPE lottery scholarship.

To maximize chances of achieving a higher score, all students should complete online practice tests in the days leading up to the ACT,  get a full night’s sleep before the test and eat a good breakfast on the test day. If a student is not able to attend school on October 16, there will a makeup day available on October 30.

Senior students have access to further information in their emails.

About the Writer
Sara Dove, Copy Editor

My name is Sara Dove, and I am a 17 year old senior, as well as the copyeditor for The Coffee Press. I will be a member of Interact, Art Club, and Raider Creators this year. In my free time, I enjoy reading, drawing, and stressing over every aspect of my life. My hair is a new color almost every month, and I somehow have nearly 70 numbers of pi memorized. After high school, I plan to attend college and obtain a degree in psychology.