Blake Reviews: Rayne & Delilah’s Midnite Matinee

Aryana Hamrick, Lifestyles and Entertainment Editor

Rayne and Delilah’s Midnite Matinee.

by Jeff Zentner.

Reviewed by Blake Patterson.

Teen angst is not a particularly original subject in this form of literature, but Jeff Zentner provides a fresh take on the subject. For the lives of two high school seniors in Jackson, Tennessee, Josie and Delia host a public access show called Midnite Matinee. The show consists of campy horror classics that are beloved by cults. Midnite Matinee is filmed every Friday with Josie and Delia portraying their alter egos, Rayne Ravenscroft and Delilah Darkwood. Rayne and Delilah present these movies each Friday with witty segments. They are like the quirky duo from Daniel Clowes’ Ghost World. Beneath the idyllic atmosphere, these two adolescents are struggling to decide where they will proceed in life.  While attempting to discover where her negligent father is, Delia hopes that the low-budget films that were left by him will be of great utilization to the show. Delia’s wish is that her father might view the series. Josie is pressured by her parents to choose a television scholarship and college which would cause Josie to leave Midnite Matinee and her friend behind, leaving Delia to suffer from loneliness and depression. Once these two admirable characters receive a flyer for ShiverCon in Orlando, Florida, it’s an adventure for them. From a stinky dog named Buford to a cult film legend named Jack Devine, Rayne and Delilah’s Midnite Matinee is a wonderful tread into realistic issues for these adolescents. From the perspectives of both teenagers, Zentner exhibits a talent for clever dialogue and personal complexity. Readers will be overwhelmed by Josie and Delia’s charm and Zentner’s humility for his characters.

Rayne and Dalilah’s Midnite Matinee was published in February 2019 and is available for purchase on, but not limited to Amazon, Target, and Barnes and Noble.

Blake Patterson is a Coffee County Central High School Senior who expresses extreme interest in the film industry and films alike. Once he finishes High School he plans on majoring in audio/visual production. Regularly Blake reviews films on Instagram @afroreviews1 and on Facebook at Afro Reviews.