The Student News Site of Coffee County Central High School

The java that will make you want to holla!

November 1, 2019

The quaint coffee  shop and deli Jehovah Java is located at 116 S. Spring Street upon the square in Manchester, Tenn. Comfortable, tranquil and welcoming are the first words that popped into my head upon entering the shop.

My expectations were seemingly small due to its simple outwardly appearance. However, don’t let that deceive you. When I opened the door, the atmosphere changed instantly.

When I entered the shop, I was welcomed by the warm brick and wood tones accented upon the walls. This was a feature of interest to me because the walls were not excessively revamped and kept their vintage appeal.

As I walked to the counter, I heard the faint words of familiar Christian artists playing. I was thankful for the patient service I received while trying to figure out what I would order. After a few seconds of silently debating on what to get I finally decided on a sugar-free iced vanilla coffee with almond milk.

The many options on the menu (listed below) were hard to choose from, but now knowing the variety of sandwiches, breakfast foods and drinks that are offered I know I’ll be back to try them all soon.

While I waited for my drink I explored the two rooms that make up the seating area. The first room holds a few booths along with the ordering counter and shelves filled with purchasable coffee, art, vitamins and other merchandise.

The second room is filled with tables arranged between a dividing sector in the middle of the room. The far end of the room offered more seating options such as a few large couches and plush chairs.

While I waited I took note of the interesting light fixtures within the room.

The lights appeared to resemble stained glass. I found this to be yet another great feature that enhances the vintage appeal of the shop.

Different elements such as the vintage walls, unique lighting fixtures and local art added a lot to the overall atmosphere of Jehovah Java. The atmosphere produced nostalgia for simpler times when towns were filled primarily with small local shops. 

After a short wait my drink was delivered to my booth with friendly and kind service. I ordered a large drink, which was $3.50. 

The iced latte was a good blend of coffee and milk with a splash of vanilla. The results were a great combination that wasn’t too strong or too sweet! The quantity and quality of the drink was well worth that price.

Compared to big coffee shop corporations that charge you anywhere between 2-4 dollars more than what I paid for a large, I was very satisfied with my purchase.

My sister and mom also joined me at Jehovah Java and proclaimed that they both liked the shop’s coffee better than Starbucks.

Not only is the atmosphere, service and quality of Jehovah Java amazing, but the message they share through their service is also powerful. Jehovah Java partners with the Be the Bush Ministry, a Christ centered rehabilitation program, to help young men recover from substance abuse. 

Overall my experience at Jehovah Java was great! I loved the atmosphere of the shop and the warmth not only the shop conveyed but from the staff as well. On a scale of 1-5 stars I give the shop a five.

I enjoyed every part of my experience! The only thing I found to be a little hard for me are their hours. The shop hours throughout the week are Monday through Thursday from 7 A.M. to 3 P.M., Fridays from 7 A.M. to 9 P.M., Saturdays from 8 A.M. to 2 P.M., and they are closed on Sundays.

I went on a Saturday because I don’t have enough time in the mornings on weekdays to get coffee before school, and they are closed by the time school lets out. These times may be more accommodating for those who have time to spare in the morning or are free midday. 

I think Jehovah Java could be a great place for teens to hang out after school if they were open an hour or two later in the afternoons on weekdays.

However, that is my only complaint and I can assure you I will definitely be coming back in the near future to try more of their many options.

If you are looking for a good homework, hang out or date spot, this is the place you’ve been searching for! I highly encourage teens and adults to check out Jehovah Java for some great local coffee!