Surprisingly, less time in school can actually improve education

Shelby Watkins, Editor-in-Chief

Since COVID-19, schools have been opening at different rates and reducing physical attendance through distance learning. This unprecedented time raises the question: do students spend too much time at school?

Your first instinct might be to say, “Of course not. Students need to learn.” 

That argument makes sense, but when the problems that a seven-hour school day presents are addressed, it becomes clear that this structure is hurting the health of our students.

To begin with, the physical health of our students is at risk. 

Sedentary, or desk-bound classes take up most of the day, and while there isn’t an exact number of hours, students can be forced to sit, at most, six and a half hours a day. 

This is if a student only walks during hall change, according to the schedule set at Coffee County Central High School.

Physical activity, according to an article from The Washington Post, is important for health, classroom management, and focus. 

Another problem with the seven-hour a day, Monday through Friday schedule is that it exhausts the mental health of students.

Many students input most of their daily energy into getting through the school day. Then, those same students have sports practices, excess homework, or jobs that take up the rest of their evenings. 

According to many college and educational sites, extracurricular activities provide priceless opportunities for students to learn, develop skills, and improve their resumes.

These activities are a necessary part of college scholarships; the problem comes, however, when high schools don’t give students enough time to properly develop these skills.

Too much time in school doesn’t just affect the students. Teachers are often forced to take personal time to work because the school calendar does not provide them adequate grading and planning time.

A solution to this, in recent times, has become the addition of Distance Learning Fridays.

Without students in the building, teachers can still teach, give help, and send out work, but they also have time to finish the rest of their work that would normally hinder their weekend plans.

Similarly, without being in the school building, students have more time to do make-up work, get extra help on google meet with their teachers, and enjoy a relaxed environment to learn in.

While rigorous standards provide no room for fewer school days or hours, it is clear that education can be better received by students when they have clear heads.

High school students, and even younger students, need time with their peers that isn’t in a classroom to develop deeper friendships, learn about the world, and live life.

With shorter school weeks or days, students would be able to get plenty of exercise, spend time outside, develop extracurricular skills, and participate in other necessary life experiences.

Let’s bring movement, fun, and taking care of students into the school day. When being drained by the pressures of school isn’t their only existence, students will become more motivated, happy, and healthy overall.