Putting the heat on “Fahrenheit 451”

The sophomore class at CCCHS reads “Farenheit 451,” a futuristic novel about human behavior and government control.

Lindsey Landrum, Opinions-Editorial Editor

Throughout their careers at Coffee County Central High School, students are often required to read specific books, usually classic literature, for their English classes. 

Among these is a well-known classic: “Fahrenheit 451,” a novel by Ray Bradbury. Fahrenheit immerses its readers in a world where entertainment and distraction are essential, and books are illegal.

In the 1950s, the decade in which Bradbury wrote Fahrenheit, television was increasing in popularity as an American pastime. In his novel, Bradbury discusses what it would be like if Americans were not allowed to read or own books.

The main protagonist, Guy Montag, is employed as a fireman, but his job is a bit different than you would suspect. Instead of putting out fires, he starts fires in order to burn the houses of those hiding books.

Montag becomes increasingly unsatisfied with his life when he is shown the realm of curiosity and observation by his neighbor Clarisse McClellan. As the story progresses, Montag discovers the need for books and critical thought in his society.

This book is incredibly well-written. Every bit of imagery that Bradbury uses is clearly intentional, and it helps the reader emphasize with Montag.

Bradbury’s writing adheres well to a common rule in books: show, don’t tell. He uses a character’s words, actions, and reactions to convey their feelings instead of saying simply that a character is confused or angry.

This writing style allows the reader to connect more with the characters, and it feels like you are actually interacting with them.

As for the downsides of this book, it does have quite a few swear words. While this may not be a problem for some people, others may prefer reading books that are curse-free.

For me, this was an amazing read. With the premise of the book being that books are illegal, you almost forget that you’re reading one.

This book is very easy to read, and I would recommend it to just about anyone! Whether you’re looking for dystopia, action, deep topics, or an exploration into human nature, “Fahrenheit 451” has it all!