Student fights back against the oppressive amount of effort needed for homework

A high school student writes out her busy to-do list.

Lindsey Landrum, Humor Editor

It’s a common complaint among students at Generic County High School (GCHS) that there is no escape from their never-ending workload. GCHS students have been known to put off hours of work each week.

This issue has become so prevalent that Kacy Thomas, a Junior at GCHS, has begun fighting back against the torrent of moderately difficult work assigned by her teachers.

“It’s completely insane for teachers to expect students to complete two to three assignments of mild intensity every single night. Last night, my algebra teacher assigned me and the entire class nine whole problems. Nine!”

Reportedly, Thomas is putting together a petition for the school system to ban homework at all schools.

David Garcia, a senior student who has joined the fight, commented, “With all of the school work I have to do as a fundamental part of my education, I’ve hardly had any time to socialize with my friends via looking at staged pictures on their Snapchat stories.”

Thomas says that students at GCHS have so much homework that they have been forced to attempt complex thinking and problem-solving skills on numerous occasions. This, according to Thomas, is “exactly what we’re fighting against.”

The president of the Generic County School Board, Ken Weaver, later issued a public apology to the students of the system.

Weaver said, “I, on behalf of the Generic County School board, would like to apologize from the bottom of my heart to every student who felt attacked and victimized by the assigning of schoolwork by their teachers. It was utterly abhorrent for any one of our staff members to expect more than a minimal amount of effort on any task.”

After this address, Thomas said, “I think this is a good step for our education system: acknowledging that students should never be pushed beyond their comfort zone to promote academic growth. The system was broken from the beginning, but now we can begin the healing process.”

Thomas, after her brilliant victory with the school board, has moved on to another pressing matter in the realm of education: having to attend an educational facility for any amount of time.

It’s hard to tell when students will be truly liberated from the overwhelming weight of applying effort to menial tasks. Really, when will the suffering end?