Super Senior: Patricia Barrera

Zoe Mills

Patrica poses with the medals she has received over the years.

Makenna Orrick, Feature Editor

The class of 2022 is a class filled with future artists, business CEOs, and athletes. One of these seniors with a bright future is Partica Barrera. 

Barrera is involved in cross country, soccer, track, actively immersed in her youth group, and currently employed at Sonic. 

Barrera played soccer in middle school and decided to rejoin senior year. When it comes to her youth group, she joined in sixth grade and has been going ever since. 

Barrera states, “My youth pastor is one of my biggest supporters and has helped me so much along the way and I am very thankful for her.” 

When asked how long she has been running, Barrera replied, “I have been running since I was in fourth grade and stuck with it! People call me crazy because I love running so much!”

She can be described as self-driven, disciplined, encouraging and busy! These characteristics are shown through her hard work on and off her sports teams. 

Cross country member Kailee Rossman recounts that Barrera, “Is kind and uplighting during cross country and very analytical during soccer. She is dedicated to the sports she plays and always encourages her teammates.” 

Barerra’s response to how her senior year is going is, “So far, I would describe my senior year as exciting, and I still can’t believe I am a senior. I still feel like a freshman!! I have already accomplished some goals that I have set for myself and couldn’t be more proud!”

Some goals she has set for this year include to keep up good grades, time management and to make it to state for cross country. “I am seeded 7th in regions this year and top 10 go to state so it is very possible for me to go!”

Balancing sports, school, and work can be tough at times, but Barrera makes it manageable by running at 5 in the morning and having practice after school. She works on homework during her free time in classes and works double shifts on weekends.

When asked how she stays motivated with such a busy schedule she responded, “What keeps me motivated is purpose and passion. To me this means a lot because I love what I do and stay focused on the very little things that can make me a better person. Another thing that keeps me going is that I will be the very first in my family to go to college!”

While she has yet to make a permanent decision, she has been offered athletic scholarships from UT Martin, UT Southern, Milligan University, and Lincoln Memorial University. She plans on majoring in exercise science and to become an athletic trainer. 

Barerra is one of Coffee County’s finest. Whether it be on the soccer field or in her math class, she is dedicated and has a bright future ahead!