Super Senior: Kelby Walker

Kelby Walker, number 36, walks off the field after a game winning touch down.

Makenna Orrick, Feature Editor

Senior Kelby Walker tackled yet another football season, taking home five regular season wins, the most since 2007 and clinching the last playoff since 2017.

This season has been one of the best for the Raiders in recent years. Despite a rocky one to four start, in their last five games, they are four to one bringing them to a final five to five for the regular season.

Walker started the season with a 70 yard lightning strike touchdown, putting the Raiders up seven to zero in their season opening win against Franklin County. Four of the Raiders’ five losses have been to top 10 teams in their respective conference making the five to five record not as bad as it seems at first glance.

“Celebrating touchdowns with my team has been the best part of the season,” stated Walker.

When asked what it takes to become a successful football player, he responded, “Countless hours in the weight room and on the field. Many young players, especially receivers, just want to get on the field and catch the ball but it’s not that simple, we also have to take part in blocking downfield.”

Walker has been playing football since sixth grade and he is one of the four seniors who have been playing off and on since freshman year. 

Football requires elite fitness, including running, jumping, and quick changes of direction. “Football is nothing less than physical” states Walker. It is a sport that requires you to bring your best each and everyday to improve.

Head football coach Doug Greene remarked, “Kelby brings speed and quickness in routes. He has the ability to gain yards after the catch. He also plays on punt, return, and kick off return.”

When asked who inspires him the most, Walker replied, “Coach Greene inspires me the most; he pushes me in the weight room as well as on the field.” 

When asked what advice he would give future players, he answered, “Be patient and work hard, especially in the weight room. Keep your head up and keep grinding and your time will come.”

Walker plans on pursuing a degree in business. Throughout the last four years, he has left his mark on and off the field.