CCCHS Student Government will host activities for mental health awareness month

The Student Government Association discusses plans for the upcoming mental health awareness activities.

Makenna Orrick, Feature Editor

As April comes to an end and May begins, Coffee County Central High school’s Student Government Association prepares for Mental Health Awareness month. 

May was established as Mental Health Month in 1949 in hopes of increasing awareness of the importance of mental wellness. CCCHS will be joining to fight the stigma and provide support.

This year, the theme of the month is “Back to Basics.’’ Mental Health America’s hope with this theme is “to provide foundational knowledge about mental health & mental health conditions and information about what people can do if their mental health is a cause for concern.”

The thought of bringing mental health awareness into the halls of CCCHS was sparked by junior class president Ashton Ferrell. 

When asked what prompted Student Government to have a part in this nationwide project, Ferrell responded, “After seeing how other students in our school system have been/are impacted as well as having some first-hand experience, we thought it would be nice to bring light to it. I hope to bring hope to those who are struggling and to show them they aren’t alone. It would be nice to create a better environment in the school for everyone and help those who are worried or scared to talk about it or ask for help.”

Activities will be hosted every Monday to “combat the Monday blues,” as Student Government Sponsor Nicole Carney states, as well as Thursdays. The events will be focused on ways to improve and maintain good mental health, as well as eating healthy and getting active. 

May 2 will start the month of activities as “Wear Green Monday,” green being the mental health awareness color, as an opener for the month filled with activities. 

Thursday, May 5 begins the school-wide coloring contest. May 9 is Hydration Monday, a day dedicated to encouraging students to drink enough water and eat healthy. On May 9 through 13, teachers will be encouraged to have an activity or hold classes outside. On May 16, there will be dancing for donuts stations set up as students enter the school. 

“This is especially beneficial for everyone in the building since right now the end of the school year is filled with testing, seniors who just want to graduate, and administration who are trying their best to keep up with a busy schedule,” Carney states.

Each week, the counselors will send out outside resources and reminders on how to maintain mental health and prevention. As well as virtual “calming rooms” for both teachers and students. 

“These virtual calming rooms are Google Classroom links, which are available for students and teachers, which include relaxing videos, journaling ideas, games, and puzzles and breathing techniques,”  Lacy Cote, a CCCHS counselor, states.

Cote remarks, “The serenity room in the Student Counseling Center is also available to students who may feel overwhelmed, anxious, or just need a few minutes to decompress.” 

Carney states that the ultimate goal is “To increase mental health awareness within our high school, to refocus on mental health maintenance, and to improve the overall mental health of our students, faculty, and staff.”

If you or someone you know is struggling with mental health the Mental Health America crisis line is open 24 hours at 1-800-273-TALK (8255).