Are you a watcher or a reader?

Benchmark Monitor

Among the variety of media in the world, Which medium do you prefer?

Lili Stetler, Opinion Editorial Editor

Whether it be “All the Bright Place” or “IT,” many movies originate from novels. However, the long-standing question has been which one to dive into first.

When asking the student body of Coffee County Central High School if they’d rather read the book where the story originated from or the film adapted version, the overwhelming response was to watch the movie. Many state that they either don’t enjoy reading or never find time to with their busy schedules. 

While watching the movie may take less time than reading the novel, there are often many important aspects of the story line that are highlighted in the book much better than the motion picture on the big screen. 

In the book “Where the Crawdads Sing” by Delia Owens that was recently turned into a film, there are many characteristics of the plot that the movie completely missed. 

The bone-chilling poem at the end of the novel that reveals the murderer was simply alluded to in the last few minutes of the film. This neglects the viewer of the true meaning and depth behind the murder, if they haven’t read the standalone novel. 

It isn’t only present in a few movies; almost every movie that originated as a book misses some key points that make the story line even better. When reading the book you get insight into the character’s mind and thought process that a film cannot provide, and it truly makes all the difference to the understanding and enjoyment of a plot.

Despite their differences, a good plot makes outstanding entertainment whether it be in the form of a book or a film. 

However, the question still stands: are you a watcher or a reader?