The Raiders are region champions

The Red Raider football team will be competing in playoff games starting Nov. 4.

Bethany Lambert, Sports Editor

On Oct. 14, the Raiders beat the Cookeville Cavaliers 26 to seven to become region champions!  Prior to this, the Raiders have also beat several teams such as Warren county, Spring Hill, and Lebanon. For the first time in several years, the Raiders will be hosting a home playoff game in the upcoming weeks.

A few of the seniors say this year is different for many reasons. The most important of these being the feeling of family on and off the field. Senior Konor Heaton, running back, shares, “Everybody isn’t playing for themselves, they’re playing for their brother and wanting to win, not just worrying about what they do. And we have a good group of seniors to lead.” 

Ashton Ferrell, another CCCHS senior, backs up Heaton’s claim by saying, “That’s the whole reason I play. For the people around me. The satisfaction of knowing the person beside me and knowing they have my back as much as I have their back.” 

Nate Luttrell shared that his brothers on the field are also the reason he plays football. “I like the community, hanging out with my friends, the relationships you build in the locker room with the boys.” 

The football team has faced their fair share of big name teams this year. Luttrell shared that the Red Raiders faced adversity against the domineering Lebanon Devils, but came out on top to later defeat the Cavaliers 26 to seven.

Darryn Strickland talked about the team when they’re off the field: “Family. That’s the best way to put it. We’ve been here for each other since day one, and we all care about our success. When walking onto the field you know you got something worth fighting for and that atmosphere is electric, and when you walk back in you’re reminded of why you fight: your brothers.”

This season, they hosted Rhea county on Oct. 28, obtaining their eighth win of the season. This is the first season since the 1990s the Raiders have gotten eight wins in a season. Having a current record of eight wins and two losses, Raider fans are excited this may be our year for a championship.

Our losses were very close against Franklin county, the final score being twenty to twenty-seven, and Paige high school, the final score being twenty-eight to fourteen.

Coffee County will be hosting their first home playoff game in years on Nov. 4. Come out and support the Raiders as they make music on the field. The players and coaches would love to hear and see you add to the Red Raider fun on the upcoming Friday nights.