Mental health may be more important than you think

Many may not realize the impact that their mental health has on their day-to-day lives.

Alyssa Brannon, Student Life Editor

Mental health includes our emotional, psychological, and social well-being. It is very important for many reasons; it affects how we think, feel, and act. It can determine how an individual handles stress, interpersonal relationships, and decision-making. 

It is important at every stage in your life, from childhood and adolescence through adulthood. 

The National Institute of Mental Health’s website provides great amounts of information. More than 43 million Americans struggle with mental health. Youth depression rates have risen from 5.9% to 8.2% since 2012. 

Research shows that academic stress leads to less well-being and an increased likelihood of developing anxiety or depression. Research also shows that 50 percent of all lifetime mental illness begins by age 14, and 75 percent by age 24. There are also many other things that can contribute to affecting your mental health like biological factors, life experiences, family history of mental health problems and your lifestyle. 

There are some ways of increasing your mental health with self-care. Self-care is always important because you need to take care of your mind and body. These can include regular exercise, eating healthy, getting good amounts of sleep, staying connected, eating regular meals, staying hydrated, practicing gratitude, and trying relaxing activities every now and then.

Focusing on positivity is also a great thing. Of course, it’s easier said than done, but being able to think positive and focus on the bright side of things can be great for mental health.