Sleep is vital to the functioning of students, especially during exam season

Getty Images

Children in school are struggling every day to get enough sleep, is sleeping a full eight hours at night really that important?

Maci Jacobs, Feature Editor

School stresses everyone out. The pressure of getting homework done, passing a class, studying for quizzes, and so much more all wears on our minds for at least 180 days of every year. 

Of course, some students have it easier than others, and some may enjoy it more than others. There are still many teenagers in the world who feel like all they do is study, yet all they can score is an F.

When our bodies experience stress, it drains our energy a little faster than normal. What’s a more stressful time period than the testing week at your school?

We overload our brains with information, leaving many people feeling sleepy. This can be labeled as a sudden crash of the survival hormones: cortisol and adrenaline. 

So when you’re up all night cramming for a super important test, remember sleeping the night before is just as important as memorizing the flashcards. 

Your brain only works properly when you’ve had enough sleep, meaning students really need sleep in order to function to the best of their ability.

Sleep helps students focus, improving test scores. While you’re asleep, the brain is still firing neurons, filing away memories from the day. Your brain stores information while we are asleep. That way our brains can recall learned information easier.

Sleep is one of the most crucial drives for humans. Without sleep, the likelihood for developing illnesses such as dementia, heart diseases, obesity, and even cancer increases tremendously. 

Needless to say, sleep is important. Even more so whenever you’re experiencing stressful events. Try hard to get that minimum of eight hours of sleep every night. Sleep is not a waste of time, it’s helping you prepare for tomorrow.