Costa Rican Experiences Influence Newest Spanish Teacher

Kathryn Welch, Reporter/Photographer

Senora Whaley, the new Spanish teacher at CHS, begins her first-year teaching by bringing previously studied methods surrounding the native language of Costa Rica.

Lora Whaley,the newest foreign language teacher, comes from Cookeville to CHS. While studying abroad in Costa Rica and living with a Costa Rican host family for a summer, Whaley was able to learn Spanish through personal interaction, and taking courses. While there she taught English to the Spanish speakers. In addition to teaching,  she enjoys hiking with her husband and two dogs, relishing the comforts of being at home, spending time with her family, and reading. Whaley received her bachelor’s degree from Tennessee Tech University and is currently working on her master’s degree. Whaley stated in the interview, “I chose to teach because I wanted to show students how important it is to know a second language, especially Spanish, with the influx of immigrants that speak Spanish. Also, I wanted to make learning fun for them, as fun as it can be. I also just wanted to create a loving environment for students because I know not all students get that at home.” Using methods of speaking mostly Spanish and relating activities as well as lessons outside of the book, she persists in her goals as a teacher. While this is Whaley’s first year teaching Spanish, this is not her first teaching role. When asked, “What differences have you noticed at CHS compared to other schools?” Whaley’s first response was, “No doors.” However, she added that when comparing her own high school to CHS, she found that our school has a good balance between activity days and regular school days. Whaley is involved in helping sponsor after school events such as the Spanish Club at CHS, which meets the first Wednesday of each month. CHS is fortunate to have her compassion and expertise.