Online Journalism Comes to CCCHS

Farrah Fletcher, copy editor

Welcome to the first edition of The Coffee Press! In previous years, the CCCHS journalism class produced a print form of the school newspaper. After the former adviser, Mrs. Lockhart, retired there was a year with no journalism at CCCHS.

Last year, Whitney Matheson, journalist in residence at Middle Tennessee State University, visited the creative writing club, Inklings, and after learning there was no journalism class,  she stated that she could get some Macintosh computers donated from the university to start an online newspaper. Emily West, a former editor for the print paper at CCCHS and current writer for The Tennessean, contacted Dr. Vaughn about the importance of the program. As a result of these two events, Dr. Vaughn and advanced placement English teacher, Rhonda Winton discussed her serving as an advisor for an on line paper.

Mrs. Winton agreed and asked for recommendations from English teachers for the new staff. Twelve students applied and were chosen, and their biographies and positions can be viewed on our staff page.

After several e-mails with Ms. Matheson, Val Hoepner, the director for the Center for Innovation in Media, and Katie Morris, the executive aide, Mrs. Winton went to MTSU and retrieved six, twenty-seven inch  Macintosh computers. With the advice of Mrs. Susan Baldwin and with the help of the Coffee County Schools technology department, the necessary software was installed. After some instruction on school law and newspaper basics, the students began collecting information for the first edition focusing on what is new at CCCHS.

A few major changes will come with a new version of the school newspaper. For instance, the staff voted on a new name, changing it to The Coffee Press. The Coffee Press will feature recent school and local events, new teachers and clubs, sports stories, and many other activities relevant to Coffee County High School students. According to The Coffee Press adviser Mrs.Winton, “Having an online newspaper will allow a broad audience to view news pertaining to CCCHS, and it will provide journalism students a variety of hands on skills in the field of study.”

The Coffee Press aspires to be a beneficial addition to CCCHS student life. Not only will it be a great experience to students involved in the production, but also to students who will have interesting and relevant information about their school and peers at the touch of their fingertips.