Shakespeare in Town

Yanely Luna, Photo Editor

The CCCHS production of Romeo and Juliet was a success.

The play premiered on November 3, with shows on November 4, 10, and 11 at seven and November 5 and 12 at two. The play also included two showings during school at CCCHS and the Raider Academy.

Mr. Wagner, the play’s director, shared his experience about the play. Wagner, when asked about the production said, “Every three years we aim to do a Shakespeare project.  If this one goes well, maybe we’ll shorten the time between.  Three years ago, Mr. Higdon directed A Midsummer Night’s Dream – a classic comedy.  It only seemed fitting to do our interpretation of his most famous tragedy for the next cycle.”

This cast is putting a lot into this show and understood from the beginning the time-constraint they would be under.  Everyday I’m more and more impressed with everyone involved and I know it’s going to come together to make a great show.

— Mr. Wagner

The show had only had five weeks to prepare for the production, while most other productions require at least seven or eight weeks. Shakespeare productions also especially take more time to produce, with most taking up nine to ten weeks.

Time was not the only obstacle the production had to overcome. Mr. Wagner expressed that the students also had trouble with reading the Shakespearean text. Mr. Wagner spent most of his time after school to help students with their reading of the play.

Money also played a role in the play’s production. The play had a budget of $750 and, though that may sound like a lot, one light bulb for a stage light costs $80, so the money was spent quickly. Mr. Wagner said that most of the money was spent on the set.

Mr. Wagner said the only inspiration for the play is the truth: “So long as there are lovers and love, enemies and hate, expectations, weight, will, fear, and desire this show will be performed in nearly every country – in every language – on the planet.” But the inspiration for his approach was simplicity. He wanted the play to be about the people and hope.