Interact is back at CCCHS

The 2020-21 Interact Club

Jaxen Waggoner, Co-Editor-in-Chief

At CCCHS, the rotary-based club Interact has faced some challenges in the past few months, but the club is back and better than ever. 

CCCHS Interact has had Kandace Perry as the adviser for years. In the past, the club has done annual fundraisers for Polio vaccinations, Bags for Buses, and other community projects. 

At the beginning of the school year, Interact meetings ceased. For the 2021 school year, Perry stepped down from the role of adviser. 

She stated, “Teaching is a demanding job. There is always work to be done just to keep up from day to day. Teaching 140 Sophomores Geometry is a tremendous undertaking on its own. One stressful day, I decided something had to change for my own mental well-being. So I decided to let go of Interact, as it is not a required part of my teaching assignment. It was a very difficult decision to make, as I have many fond memories of Interact over the past 11 years.”

“I still love learning where past Interact members are now in their life.  So many of them are living extraordinary lives. For example, one student attended Duke and now advocates for women’s rights in Washington DC and another actually started a Rotaract (the college level of Interact) at MTSU. I think my favorite project we ever completed was kayaking and cleaning up the river in McMinnville.”

However, Charlie Westmoreland has taken on the club. As the transition begins, Perry will stay with the club for the first few months and returning members will be a great help. 

Westmoreland says, “When Mr. Parsley asked me if I would be interested in it, it sparked interest in having opportunities to help others. That’s the big goal for my life. I want to be a difference maker in others lives.”

The club will continue to grow and serve above self, and if anyone is interested, contact Perry or Westmoreland for more information.

The past couple meetings have been establishing the club for the 2021-22 school year by electing officers, throwing around service project ideas, and much more.

At the second meeting Emily Lapczynski was elected President, Jaxen Waggoner was elected Vice President, Kasen Holt was elected Secretary, Hailey Koren was elected Sherrill Treasurer, Jamie Pierce was elected Sg. at arms, and Breonna Gandhi was elected Historian

The club is planning big things for the coming months as the group continues to flourish. It’s not too late to join, so connect with a member or adviser today!