Fifth grade students receive an insight into the world of band

Jaxen

The fifth grade classes from New Union Elementary and Hickerson Elementary were excited to learn about the opportunities offered by the band.

Lindsey Landrum, Co-editor-in-chief and Humor Editor

On Friday, Feb. 25, the bands from Coffee County Middle School and High School opened up a world of possibilities for upcoming sixth graders by providing fifth grade classes with a showcase.

In his opening address to the students, head band director Luke Simpson stated, “It’s not just playing an instrument, it’s a whole lot more, so you’ll hear that from some of the students that will come up an speak, and hopefully you’ll hear what we can do and you’ll want to be a part of that.”

The fifth grade classes listened to a selection of songs played by the middle school’s advanced band, which was lead by Coffee County Middle School’s band and choir director Tabitha Spearman.

Following their performance, Grace Anderson, a participant in the middle school band, remarked, “To me, band’s really one of the best things that ever happened to me. It made me a better person and introduced me to so many amazing people.”

After the middle school band’s performance, the high school band took the stage to play their music from an upcoming competition. 

Before the performance started, Chase King, the assistant band director, allowed students to demonstrate each instrument they had available for students to learn. King made sure to point out other roles as well, such as band manager, that students who did not want to learn an instrument could fill.

Marianna Stein, the head drum major for the CCCHS marching band, observed, “I really do honestly love what we do. It’s a lot of fun and I wouldn’t change it for anything.” She went on to call the band a “huge family,” stating that some of them were “even life-long friends.”

Spearman stated that, in a month, students would be allowed to return to the high school for an “instrument petting zoo.” This event will allow students to see, touch, and play instruments in order to gauge their own interests in joining the band.

Becoming a member of the band or choir will be an option for any student entering Coffee County Middle School during the 2022-2023 school year.