Spring into Action

Spring into Action

Halli Richards, Design and Layout Editor

Most students require two conditions for a remarkable spring break vacation – cheap and fun. What could be more fun than visiting underestimated local venues, discovering histories, and spending quality time close to home? Here are the top ten fabulous venues to visit in Tennessee.

The Great Smoky Mountains National Park

View ridge upon ridge of forest straddling the border between North Carolina and Tennessee in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. World renowned for its diversity of plant and animal life, the beauty of its ancient mountains, and the quality of its historical remnants of Southern Appalachian mountain culture, this is America’s most visited national park.

Elvis’s Graceland

Take an unforgettable journey through the most famous rock ‘n’ roll residence in the world: Graceland. Memphis, TN was the rock-and-roll legend’s home for more than 20 years. Here you can explore the personal side of Elvis Presley. Check the event calendar for upcoming Elvis events and festivities. Memphis, TN offers plenty of activities for the family and this legendary rock ‘n’ roll pilgrimage is a must for true fans of Elvis Presley!

Dollywood

Dollywood is a smoky mountain theme park with over 40 rides, 15 shows, five of the South’s largest festivals, Southern-style dining, and exceptionally friendly employees. A family road trip is bound to happen with this destination.

The Parthenon

The re-creation of the 42-foot statue Athena is the focus of the Parthenon just as it was in ancient Greece. This full-scale replica of the Parthenon serves as a monument to what is considered the pinnacle of classical architecture. The Parthenon also serves as Nashville’s art museum. The focus of the Parthenon’s permanent collection is a group of 63 paintings by 19th and 20th century American artists donated by James M. Cowan. Additional gallery spaces provide a venue for a variety of temporary shows and exhibits.

Tennessee Aquarium

Located on Chattanooga’s beautiful downtown riverfront, River Journey sets the stage for a fascinating adventure tracing the path of freshwater from the mountains to the sea. You’ll meet feisty otters, colorful trout, alligators, giant catfish, tons of turtles and more freshwater animals from this global biodiversity hotspot. Become immersed in saltwater habitats as you explore the second building, Ocean Journey. You’ll be surrounded by playful penguins, touchable stingrays, beautiful butterflies and a spectacular coral reef with big sharks and schools of fish.

Lookout Mountain

View seven states on an unforgettable trip to the famed Lookout Mountain. Tennessee, Kentucky, Virginia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, and Alabama are all visible from the summit. And that’s not all. Located on the northwest side of the majestic mount is Sunset Rock, a popular trailhead and tourist stop. It is part of the Chickamauga and Chattanooga Military State Park, the largest and oldest Civil War national park. Sunset Rock provides a view of the Tennessee River, Signal Mountain and Prentice Cooper State Forest. Lookout Mountain also provides rock climbing trails, and white-water activities.

The Titanic Museum

The Titanic Museum in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee, features 400 fascinating pre-discovery artifacts in its 20 gallery displays. This family-friendly attraction offers a two-hour self-guided tour that is designed to make guests feel as though they are actually one of the original passengers on the ship’s fatal 1912 voyage.

The Museum of Appalachia

Roam 65 picturesque acres and experience a recreated Appalachian community complete with: 35 log cabins, barns, farm animals, churches, schools, gardens. Over 250,000 artifacts, with collections of folk art, musical instruments, baskets, quilts, Native American artifacts, and more. The Museum contains a Restaurant, a two-story Gift Shop, and hosts special events throughout the year.

The Lost Sea Adventure

The Lost Sea adventure begins with a guided tour of the caverns. While touring the caverns and underground lake guides will explain the cavern’s colorful history and fascinating geological development of the immense cavern rooms and rare formations. At the bottom of the cave you will take a boat ride on The Lost Sea, America’s Largest Underground Lake.

Ruby falls

In 1928, a team of excavators found a breathtaking waterfall located over 1,120 feet below the surface of Lookout Mountain. Today, Ruby Falls welcomes thousands of visitors each year. The attraction also includes suspended obstacle courses built in trees that include ladders, nets, walkways, bridges, tunnels and zip lines. That’s 700 feet of round trip zipping! Ruby falls also offers a Lantern Tour which allows visitors a rarely seen view deep within Lookout Mountain, beginning with a 260-foot elevator ride into the mountain and a tour experience in a whole new light!

(Photos retrieved from Google)